Sunday, January 4, 2015

Towers Mountain



During Recent attempts to find Bradshaw's grave (Part I, II, III ) there was a break in the action where my brother-in-law had other obligations, so I went out alone. This was once a very common occurrence, but in more recent times I have become accustomed to enjoying the sights with a friend. And another body is always good if something goes wrong and you need a little muscle to push or rock the machine.

After mulling over where to go on what turned out to be a chilly day, I decided to check out some side trails I had seen near the mountain town of Crown King, AZ, on recent outings. Due to my usual habit of getting side-tracked by other sights, I really only got to do the main trail I had in mind, but found the views to be quite spectacular...and the temps quite cold! As you can see from the lead photo, Towers mountain has...well, towers. Several of them, in fact, although that apparently isn't the source of the name ( that belongs to a Mr Towers somewhere in history ).

After staging in my usual location on Senator Highway just south of Prescott, a ride of something on the order of 25 miles is next until you arrive at FS 52C which heads east and climbs rapidly up the mountain.I had looked at this mountain many times in the past and thought it barren except for the obvious cell and microwave equipment, but I was wrong as usual. Once 52C climbed for some distance it joined in to 9238A and again continued to climb to the summit where yet more roads were encountered. Not only were these some of the "trail" variety, some were actually very good graded roads. I now realize that if one chooses, you can go across the lower end of this mountain and head into Crown King from the "main" road from I-17.

After winding on up, I found part of the reason for the good roads: Houses. A few of them, actually. I would guess these are summer homes, since no one in their right mind would choose to live here in the winter.

Shortly after driving by the last private driveway, I was at the summit, All 7685' of it, complete with lots of small buildings and communications equipment...


As you can see, Towers mountain will soon be adorned by another tower. I am actually surprised that this area isn't gated off, but I saw no signs other than those warning to stay out of buildings, etc.

On the way back down I did a tiny bit of exploring and added more trails to my ever growing to-do list...but this was no day to be up here. Summer...that's when its best to be on top of this mountain. There was thick pine cover that had recently suffered a fire, and one of the side trails was marked "Gladiator mine trail". This peaked my interest because one of the recent major fires here was the Gladiator Fire, and I assume it started somewhere near the mine itself. In fact, looking at a topo map post ride shows many mines in the area ( which shouldn't surprise me at all ). Much to be checked out...on a warmer day.

Back down on Senator Highway and heading for home, this ride wasn't done with a few treats. First was a Javelina crossing the road. Not all that uncommon. Second was a bit more of a treat in the form of 3 black bears; Momma and 2 cubs...which meant that I stopped forward progress ASAP, 1400lb SxS or not. This was the 2nd time in the span of about 3 weeks I have come across a bear in this area. Too bad they ran into the bushes before I could get my camera out. Now, 2 months after the fact, I am sure they are curled up nice and warm and cozy somewhere.

Like them...it was time for me to disappear into the setting sun and the waiting trailer to take me home again.





No comments:

Post a Comment